Computer Programming Software Terms, Glossary and Dictionary
Data element, as a term used in metadata, is an atomic unit of data that has the following characters:
1) An identification such as a data element name;
2) A clear data element definition;
3) One or more representation terms;
4) Optional enumerated values Code (metadata);
5) A list of synonyms to data elements in other metadata registries Synonym ring.
Data elements usage can be discovered by inspection of software applications or application data files through a process of manual or automated Application Discovery and Understanding. Once data elements are discovered, they can be registered in a metadata registry.