Computer Programming Software Terms, Glossary and Dictionary
Demoware is commercial software released by way of a free download with limitations, that is intended to give the user enough of a taste to want to buy the full version program. Demoware usually is limited in one (or more) of the following ways:
- Remains functional for a set number of days from installation.
- May only be launched for a set number of times.
- Adds identifying marks to the output. Common with image and video editing demoware.
- Is limited to a set number of "days of use" (i.e. only days you actually use the program count toward its trial limit)
- Program execution terminates after a set time period (typically between 5 and 60 minutes).
- Limited number of times that an important function may be used